Guidance for Students
All students are entitled to careers education, information, advice and guidance as part of the Langton Journey. Full details of the careers programme can be found as an attachment at the end of this page, but we have summarised your entitlement in the list below.
Student Entitlement to Careers
From Year 7 to Year 13 you are entitled to, and will receive:
- regular personal support and information on how well you are doing
- comprehensive programmes of personalised support and guidance through key transition times including Y8 Mini Options, Y9 Options, Post 16 and Post 18 decision making
- to find out all opportunities, as part of the careers programme, which provides information on the full range of education and training options available at each transition point
- clear and impartial information, advice and guidance about all the options available so that you can make informed choices and decisions
- support and guidance to help you to make choices on the most appropriate next, including further education, higher education, training or employment, at every stage of your education
- to understand how to make high quality applications for the full range of opportunities available to you
- a detailed programme of careers education to help you identify and develop skills and qualities to support your transition from school into the world of work and/or further learning delivered through tutorials, assemblies, PHSE, careers lessons and events
- many opportunities to learn about the world of work from employers, on workplace visits and through events
- a range of employability learning experiences and exposure to a wide range of occupational sectors
- independent and impartial information, advice and guidance is available from the careers advisor, and a wide range of employers, further and higher education providers
National Careers Service (NCS) – The NCS provides information, advice and guidance to help students make decisions on learning, training and work opportunities. The service offers confidential and impartial advice, and is supported by qualified careers advisers. The NCS has a number of specific aims to help students with careers decisions and planning; support students in reviewing skills and abilities and develop new goals; enable students to make the best use of high quality career related tools. Click here to find out more information.
Exploring your Future and Decision Making
Whether you are choosing your mini options at Year 8, your options at Year 9 or making decisions in Year 11 or during your sixth form years, Higher Ideas is software that can help.
There are really useful factsheets for 14+, 16+ and 18+ which can be found in the Help and Factsheet section on the right of the homepage which include information about decision making, the range of options, work experience, and so on.
- On the home page you have the option of exploring your future via:
- Ideas Generator – put in up to three of your interests – see where they could take you in terms of career/future study options
- A level – Put in up to four A levels – see where they could take you in terms of career/future study options
- explore different sectors – find out about the range of jobs within those sectors.
- Link to the really useful Careers Gateway website which provides further links for you to find out more about the types of job, the range of salaries, the opportunities within the sector, and so on.
- Find out about the type and level of qualifications required for your potential future career
Book an appointment with Mrs Semlyen to find out more about how to use Higher Ideas, to help you with your decision making, or for anything else related to your future
File Name DownloadUploaded
- Future Evening 2020 26/06/20
- Find your Future 2020 26/06/20
- A Degree and Me - Step by Step Guide 22/05/19
- How to write your 'Personal Statement' guide 12/09/19
- Careers Entitlement 11/05/16
- Careers Entitlement 6TH FORM 17/05/16
- Careers Entitlement YEAR 11 17/05/16
- Careers Entitlement YEAR 10 17/05/16
- Careers Entitlement YEAR 9 17/05/16
- Careers Entitlement YEAR 8 17/05/16
- Careers Entitlement YEAR 7 17/05/16