Guidance for Teachers
The Governors and staff are committed to gaining The Quality in Careers Standard (Investors in Careers) by September 2019. Our aim is to provide an outstanding programme of careers education, information, advice and guidance activities that satisfy national requirements and provide guidance which enables us to address the career development needs of all our students.
The school is fully committed to the achievement of the 8 Gatsby Benchmarks. Ensuring that careers education is delivered, not only through discrete careers lessons, but also through every curriculum subject from Years 7-13 is an essential part of that commitment. Embedding careers learning into the curriculum is fundamental to our students’ success. Through curriculum subjects students are also able to have a wider range of encounters with employers, FE and HE providers and workplace visits. These are fundamental to students gaining a broad and deep understanding of the world of work.
The resources below are a sample of what is available to support teaching staff. Further help and support is available from the careers department.
When you are supporting students through key transition periods, or wanting to demonstrate what your subject can lead to, Higher Ideas has a lot to offer.
There are really useful factsheets for 14+, 16+ and 18+ which can be found in the Help and Factsheet section on the right of the homepage which include information about decision making, the range of options, work experience, and so on.
- On the home page they have the option of exploring their future via:
- Ideas Generator – put in up to three of their interests – see where their interests could take them in terms of career/future study options
- A level – Put in up to four A levels – see where that combination could take them in terms of career/future study options. They could put in your subject to see what it takes them.
- explore different sectors – find out about the range of jobs within those sectors.
- Link to the really useful Careers Gateway website which provides further links to find out more about the types of job, the range of salaries, the opportunities within the sector, and so on.
- Find out about the type and level of qualifications required for potential future careers
There are also teachers resources - Using Higher Ideas in your lessons
To see how you can use Higher Ideas to help us meet the Gatsby Benchmarks use this link: How Higher Ideas helps us meet the Gatsby Benchmarks
Careers and Enterprise Website
For opportunity awareness and careers in the curriculum.